Thursday, September 20, 2007

Do our children have a right to eat?

E posted today about the Norfolk county, MA judge ruling that a breastfeeding mom doesn't have the right to pump during the medical licensing exam.

When I read the ruling this morning I was furious. As a working mother who pumped for almost 9 months to provide the main source of nutrition for my child (after breastfeeding exclusively for my three month maternity leave) I am totally insulted by the ruling. I didn't do it because I enjoyed it, I didn't pump to get extra "breaks" at work; I pumped because it was the best possible way to feed my son while I couldn't be with him. In order to continue breastfeeding while we were together I had to pump to maintain my supply. It's simple physiology of lactation. Clearly the judge does not understand the science behind breastfeeding.

This judge has told this woman she must chose - feed your child something other than breastmilk or not continue in your career. Totally unacceptable and totally anti-family and anti-woman. There is no choice here for the plaintiff: how can someone ask her to choose her job over her child?

I can't begin to guess what she'll do at this point, but I hope Judge Patrick Brady goes to bed tonight thinking about his wife/mother/sister/daughter and whether or not he would ask her to choose.

No comments: