Friday, October 5, 2007

And another thing

And then, I promise, I'll be done complaining about it.

After reading the Childfree forum, I am left with the distinct impression that members of this group dislike children and therefore dislike people who are pregnant or have children and rarely count them among there friends. If they do have friends with children (or know people with children) they don't want to hear about the children.

Since when do we get to decide what our friends and co-workers talk about. Being in a community means respecting what other people have to say even if you have little interest in it! I don't particularly like cats, but I don't tell people, "hey, I'm allergic to cats, stop talking about Fluffy" when it comes up in conversation. I listen and try to ask questions. It's called making conversation.

It makes me sad to see that there are people out there that will automatically write me off as a potential friend because I might *gasp, horror of horrors* mention that I'm tired that day because Harry woke up four time last night.

Today I stumbled across a blog that the Childfree Group on the before-mentioned forum has been talking about. Complaining that her blog has changed from a knitting blog to a pregnancy blog. Someone even left her an anonymous comment about it!

This is a free country, you have the write to say and read whatever you want. Why is being mean a necessary part of it???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is always such a surprise to find mean people lurking within communities like ours. I have found online Knitters to be, in general, nice people. I don't see the kinds of rude or cruel writing in the Knitting world as I have in other areas (tv shows, politics, etc.). I don't read Cosmo because I know it makes me angry. But I don't expect to be made angry by things I read on Ravelry or knitting blogs. I guess it is worse because I'm not prepared.
Love your blog!!